A former Statesboro mayor and his descendants were honored in a special program at Second St. John Missionary Baptist Church Saturday.
From 1908 through 1910 John Alexander McDougald served on the Statesboro City Council. He served as mayor in 1911 and 1912. His donation of land on the south side of Statesboro was instrumental in establishing the First District A&M School which is now Georgia Southern University. He is also credited with being responsible for the construction of a complete sanitary sewer in Statesboro.
To honor what he did for the city as well as his descendants who went on to outstanding careers in the electronic and print media, Fair Road from its beginning at South Main Street to Veterans Memorial Parkway has been designated as McDougald Memorial Parkway.
Senator Jack Hill read aloud a resolution from the Georgia General Assembly honoring McDougal at the weekend program. Statesboro Historical Society started the effort which had the support of the city of Statesboro, Bulloch County. Hill, Jan Tankersley, Jon Burns and Butch Parrish helped push it through the legislature.
Others in the McDougald family cited in the resolution include William Alexander and Catherine Bouie McDougald, Donald McDougald and his son, John A. McDougald.