Heat from a motorcycle in a garage ignited some nearby oxygen tanks that resulted in a fire that destroyed a family's home last week.
Statesboro and Bulloch County firefighters responded to the home of Wayne and Keri Sircy off Lakeview Road in the Oakfield Subdivision about 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Statesboro Fire Chief Tim Grams heat from the motorcycle which had been left running after being cranked up in the garage caused multiple medical oxygen tanks used by a family member to explode. The heat from the motorcycle caused the tanks to leak oxygen which, in the enclosed garage, ignited. The home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The home was a total loss although the family managed to save a few things from the flames.
The Sircys and their three children escaped without injury but one fireman was injuredwhen some debris fell on his head. He was treated at East Georgia Regional Medical Center in Statesboro and released.