Summer officially arrived last Saturday morning and with it the promise of more heat and humidity.
The Bulloch County Emergency Management Agency and Ready Georgia offer these tips to ensure a safe summer for every family.
1. Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
2. Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water even when you're not thirsty.
3. Limit exposure to the sun. Stay in air-conditioned spaces as much as possible.
4. Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-clothing that cover your skin.
5. Avoid strenuous work during the hot part of the day. Drink two to four cups of water every hour when you are working outside.
6. Check on elderly neighbors and family and friends who do not have air conditioning.
7. Be sure pets have plenty of water and shade, and keep them indoors when it's extremely hot.
8. Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke and seek immediate medical attention if necessary.
9. Insulate your home by installing weather stripping around your doors and windowsills to keep the cool air inside.
10. Closely monitor a local radio station, TV station or NOAA Weather Radio or download the Ready Georgia app for information on heat watches and warnings.