BOC approves request to seek COP grant

Written by  Wednesday, 18 June 2014 09:43

  Chief Deputy Jared Akins said the money, if approved, would come from the U. S. Department of Justice and would pay 75% of salaries and benefits for as many as three new deputies.  The other 25% would come from the county.

 

  Akins said the grant is by "no means certain" since competition from law enforcement agencies around the nation for the funds has increased dramatically since 2008.  He told the commissioners it could be months before they will know if the grant request is successful.  He said the application to apply for the COP grant is June 23. 

 

  Akins said Bulloch County has received funds from the program in the past.  More than 125,000 officers have been hired nationwide through this grant.

 

  There are currently about 55 certified law enforcement officers in the Bulloch County Sheriff's Department, 25 of which patrol the county's road.  Another 65 certified officers work at the county jail.

 

 

 

 

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Login to post comments
Drizzle

54°F

Statesboro

Drizzle
Humidity: 100%
Wind: N at 0 mph
Wednesday
AM showers
42°F / 59°F
Thursday
Sunny
32°F / 55°F
Friday
Sunny
34°F / 55°F
Saturday
Sunny
39°F / 62°F
http://www.statesboro365.com/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/banners.Advertise-Rock300gk-is-212.giflink
http://www.statesboro365.com/modules/mod_image_show_gk4/cache/banners.allyouneedtoknowgk-is-212.pnglink

Popular News

About Us

Georgia Eagle Media is home to six unique radio stations and with more than 330,000 people in our listening area, GEM can give your business the biggest bang for your advertising buck.

 

Georgia Eagle Media, Inc. Recruitment and EEO Information for

WPMX-FM, WMCD-FM, WHKN-FM, WZBX-FM, WWNS-AM, WPTB-AM, WSYL-AM
Studios in Statesboro and Sylvania, Georgia November 1, 2012-October 31, 2013
If you or your organization would like to receive information about employment opportunities with
Georgia Eagle Media, Inc. Statesboro and Sylvania based stations, please provide us with the name,
mailing address, e-mail address (if applicable), telephone number, fax number, and contact person
and identify the category or categories of vacancies for which you would like information:

Georgia Eagle Media, Inc. 561 E Olliff St Statesboro, GA 30458
(912) 764-5446
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Georgia Eagle Media, Inc. has in place a policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all
qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age,
disability, or any other characteristic protected by law, in all personnel actions.

Georgia Eagle Media, Inc. owns seven Statesboro/Sylvania based radio stations that employ seven
full-time employees and four part- time employees for this cluster of stations.

Between November 1, 2012 and October 31, 2013, Georgia Eagle Media radio stations in Statesboro
filled one full-time (30 or more hours per week) position.