A small electrical fire caused some minor damage but no injuries at Sallie Zetterower Elementary School Wednesday.
School has just ended at 2:20 when a custodian noticed smoke about five minutes later in classroom in the school’s pre-kindergarten through first grade wing in the section of the school known as the “Swamp”-themed hallway. Following procedures he pulled the fire alarm that initiated stand fire evacuation procedures.
Hayley Greene, Public Relations & Marketing Specialist, said buses were loaded but some students and faculty were still on campus for car line dismissal and aftercare services.
The fire started in a heating and air conditioning thermostat that was mounted on a classroom wall. After thoroughly checking the area around the fire and cutting power to the thermostat in the classroom, first responders gave the all-clear signal to safely re-enter the building at 2:48 p.m. There were no injuries and no damage to any surrounding equipment.
The special education classroom will be temporarily relocated to another classroom within the building until Bulloch County Schools’ Maintenance Department removes the smell and replaces the room’s thermostat.